True Believer

www.flickr.com

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

26? old?


Do you remember the moment when you realized that you are not as young as you think you are? For some people never reach this realization. You might be able to spot them wearing clothes that are much too hip for them, or using language they think is still cool when in fact it hasn't been unleashed since disco.

I have come to this ugly conclusion recently. I was on a retreat with our interns a few weeks ago. I felt comfortable, like you do when you are amongst your peers who have a mutual opinion about life in general. My first incling that something was amis was when they were being sort of polite to me, the way I used to be polite to my "elders". Then the moment of truth, I was involved in a task with the group and one of them (who shall remain nameless) sort of stepped around me to be closer to the others who were on the other side, totally giving me the cold shoulder and leaving me out to dry by myself at the end of the line! I realized I was no longer considered "in the group", but I had become an outsider!

It is a shocking, yet important realization in my opinion. I am no longer a carefree young person. I am a real adult with real responsibilities. You will hopefully never see me wearing too-hip clothes for my age or using dated slang to fit in with people who consider me an outsider. I will stop caring what I wear in public (maybe mumus will fill my closet). Sweat pants and t-shirts are the end of the line for a geezer like me! J/K! There are lots of great things about being in charge of myself (and my family). For example, we are going to Uganda this fall. I am really excited about it as we are in the full swing of planning, but don't you worry, I will take care not to break a hip!!

8 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

    I think I started that realization about...oh, five years or so with a group of our interns. Oh wait, that was you!

    A friend once said that he really enjoyed his thirties because he finally felt like he "fit in his own skin". I get what he means now that I'm there. I wouldn't trade down in age for anything now - even to be considered hip.

    You'll always be young to me, Brenda!

     
  • At 11:25 PM , Blogger Sarah Megan said...

    Hey I found your blog. YEAH!!!!

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Adam Wolfgang said...

    screw that! I will always be hip!

     
  • At 8:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Glad to hear you guys are headed for Uganda.

    I like to think I'm too hip for those younger than me. They just don't know what they are missing out on.

     
  • At 10:51 PM , Blogger brenda said...

    Adam & Amanda,
    You guys are going to be the ones I talked about! I hope you have someone to tell you when your clothes look rediculous! You are not going to be able to see it yourselves! Expect more info about Uganda in the mail!

     
  • At 11:21 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

    You aren't going to use cool slang???

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger Priscilla said...

    so you're saying i don't have "it" anymore? i know what you mean brenda...because now college kids seem young to me...it's weird how things change like this!
    pris

     
  • At 5:32 PM , Blogger Kara Deal said...

    I am destend to be just like my mother... it has already started. Crazy and young, no matter the real age. I have an excuse though... I come by it naturally! Make fun of me if you will, but I love my mommy and I will proudly continue on in her foot steps!

    Hey, by the way. I am glad to have found you! Love you, miss you, and maybe I will see you really soon!

    Kara Deal

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home